Mindfulness in Mental Health Care
Business and Organizations – Mindfulness in the Workplace
- At Aetna, a C.E.O.’s Management by Mantra- New York Times by David Gelles, The New York Times February 2015
- Cleveland Clinic Study Finds that Meditation at Work Reduces Stress and Boosts Morale Cleveland Clinic Newsroom March 2016
- Corporations’ Newest Productivity Hack: Meditation by Joe Pinsker, The Atlantic March 2015
- Effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction on medical and premedical students U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health
- How to Be More Mindful at Work by David Gelles, The New York Times
- Meditation, mindfulness and cognitive flexibility by Adam Moore and Peter Malinowski, Science Direct December 2008
- Meditation may help the brain reduce distractions by Sue McGreevey, The Harvard Gazette April 2011
- Meditation, mindfulness and cognitive flexibility U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health
- Meditation makes you more creative by Leiden University, ScienceDaily October 2014
- Meditation produces positive changes in the brain by Lisa Brunette, University of Wisconsin-Madison February 2003
- Six Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation in the Workplace by Claire Ponsaran, Rethink Staffing April 2017
- Stepping out of history: Mindfulness improves insight problem solving ScienceDirect
- The Key to a Mindful Work Life by Sharon Salzberg, Barry Boyce, and Janice Marturano, Mindful September 2018
- Three Benefits of Mindfulness at Work by Jeremy Adam Smith, Mindful October 2015
- Unleashing the Power of Mindfulness in Corporations by Christian Greiser and Jan-Philipp Martini, Boston Consulting Group April 2018
- What are the benefits of mindfulness by Daphne M. Davis and Jeffrey A. Hayes, American Psychological Association July/August 2012
- Why Google, Nike, and Apple Love Mindfulness Training, and How You Can Easily Love It Too by Marissa Levin, Inc. June 2017
- 5 successful business leaders that have used meditation to improve productivity, creativity, and business acumen by Jason DeMers, Business Insider April 2018
- 6 Scientifically Proven Benefits of Mindfulness and Meditation by Jeena Cho, Forbes July 2016
- 7 Ways Meditation Can Actually Change The Brain by Alice G. Walton, Forbes February 2015
Mindfulness in the Classroom and Adolescent Benefits of Mindfulness
- Calming the Teenage Mind in the Classroom by Kelly Wallace, CNN February 2016
- Can a Change in Mindset Help Teens De-stress by Sarah Wheeler, Mindful September 2016
- How Does Teaching Mental Health in Schools Benefit Students? by David Levine, U.S.News August 2018
- Just Breathe: Mindfulness may help freshman stress less and smile more by Victoria M. Indivero, Penn State April 2017
- Meditation becoming more popular among teens by Dan Harris, Good Morning America January 2015
- Meditation in Public Schools: Pro or Con by Stephany Tlalka, Mindful May 2017
- Mindfulness classes to help teenagers’ mental fitness by Smith Mundasad, BBC July 2015
- Mindfulness in the Classroom-Vanderbilt University by Juliann Garey, Child Mind Institute
- Mindfulness training helps teens cope with stress and anxiety by Gosia Wozniackwa, The Washington Post December 2014
- San Francisco Schools Transformed by the Power of Meditation NBC December 2014
- School Replaces Detention with Meditation Higher Perspective September 2018
- Science Shows Meditation Benefits Children’s Brains and Behavior by Alice G. Walto, Forbes October 2016
- Transcendental Meditation Helps Students Cope with Adult-sized Stress by William R. Stixrud, David Lynch Foundation February 2015
- When Mindfulness Meets the Classroom by Lauren Cassani Davis, The Atlantic August 2015
- Why Mindfulness Belongs in the Classroom by Michelle Kinder, Mindful January 2017
Mindfulness in Higher Education
- Berdik, Chris. Can Mindfulness help stressed teachers stay in the classroom?, PBS News Hour March 2019
- Burggraf, Susan & Peter Grossenbacher. Contemplative Modes of Inquiry in Liberal Arts Education. LiberalArtsOnline, June 2007.
- Bush, Mirabai. (2010). Contemplative Higher Education in Contemporary America. See also Mirabai Bush, “Contemplative Higher Education in Contemporary Life,” Contemplation Nation: How Ancient Practices Are Changing the Way We Live, pp. 221-36. 2011.
- Bush, Mirabai. (2013). “Mindfulness in Higher Education,” in Mindfulness: Diverse Perspectives on its Meaning, Origins and Applications. London: Routledge.
- Buddhist Economics by E.F. Schumacher on Right Livelihood
- Coburn, Thomas; Fran Grace; Anne Carolyn Klein; Louis Komjathy; Harold Roth & Judith Simmer-Brown. (2011). Contemplative Pedagogy: Frequently Asked Questions. Teaching Theology and Religion, Vol. 14, No. 2, April 2011, 167-174.
- Craig, Barbara A. (2011). Contemplative Practice in Higher Education: An Assessment of the Contemplative Practice Fellowship Program. Northampton, MA: The Center for Contemplative Mind in Society.
- Gunnlaugson, O., Sarath, E., Scott, C., & Bai, H. (Eds.). (2014). Contemplative Learning and Inquiry Across Disciplines. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- James E. Groccia and Laura Cruz (Eds.), To Improve the Academy, 31, 177-191. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Kroll, Keith. (Ed.). (2010). Contemplative Teaching and Learning: New Directions for Community Colleges, 151. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Sanders, Linda A., Ed. (2013) Contemplative Studies in Higher Education: New Directions for Teaching and Learning, No. 134, Summer 2013.Shapiro, Shauna L.; Kirk Warren Brown & John A. Astin. (2008). Toward the Integration of Meditation into Higher Education: A Review of Research. Edited by Maia Duerr. Northampton, MA: The Center for Contemplative Mind in Society.
This paper was later revised and published as Shapiro, Shauna, Kirk Warren Brown and John A. Austin, “Toward the Integration of Meditation into Higher Education: A Review of Research Evidence,” Teachers College Record, 113:3 (2011), p. 493-528.
- Above list courtesy of the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society (partial list)
Mindfulness in the News
- 5 Mindfulness Practices to Step Up Your Recovery by Beverly Conyers, The Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation
- Cognitive Aging and Long-Term Maintenance of Attentional Improvements Following Meditation Training by Anthony P. Zanesco, Brandon G. King, Katherine A. MacLean, and Clifford D. Saron
- Could mindfulness reduce brain aging? by Honor Whiteman, Medical News Today February 2015
- Harvard Unveils MRI study proving meditation literally rebuild the brains gray matter in 8 weeks by Brent Lambert, Feel Guide November 2014
- I just spent a day in a mindfulness program developed at Google and left with 5 key lessons by Shana Lebowitz, Business Insider November 2016
- Mindfulness training modifies subsystems of attention by Amishi P. Jha, Jason Krompinger, and Michael J. Baime
- Think Less, Think better-New York Time by Moshe Bar, The New York Times June 2016
- Turning Negative Thinkers into Positive Ones by Jane E. Brody, The New York Times April 2017
- Why Taking a Yoga Teacher Training May Be One of the Best Things You Do in College by Antonia Blumberg, HuffPost December 2015
- Why What You Learned in Preschool Is Crucial at Work by Claire Cain Miller, The New York Times October 2015
- What to do with your mind during meditation by Sonima Wellness, HuffPost Healthy Living August 9, 2015
Videos on Mindfulness
- Bill Moyers’ Healing and the Mind
The first 45 minutes of Healing From Within features Jon’s MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction)classes at the UMass Medical Center. It was produced and aired for the first time in 1993. Since then, over 40 million viewers have seen it. It is part of a five part PBS (Public Broadcasting System) series entitled Healing and the Mind with Bill Moyers.
For video click here.
- Congressman Tim Ryan on PBS speaking on mindfulness
Mindfulness meditation has become a popular stress reducer nowadays in the U.S. with many schools, business organizations, and even a Member of Congress practicing it.
For video click here.
- Daniel Goleman on Mindful.org:
For video click here
- Mindfulness 60 Minutes – Anderson Cooper reports on what it’s like to try to achieve “mindfulness” (CBS News)
Articles on How to Meditate:
Guided Meditations on CD:
- Creative Visualization Meditations by Shakti Gawain
- Desire or Faith by Kelly Howel
- Guided Mindfulness Meditation Series 1 & 2 by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Healthy Journeys: A Mediation for Relaxation and Wellness by Belleruth Naparstek
- Meditations by Shakti Gawain
- Dharma Crafts
- Yoga Direct